Regardless, we got to witness something really neat - a river baptism. As we were encountering yet another difficulty with hanging the kiosk bulletin board, a group of people approached and one person introduced himself as the preacher of the Catalyst Church, which meets up on High Street.
He said they were coming to a baptism.
Pretty soon everyone gathered round and we stopped work and one of the congregation waded into the water, still rather cold, and was baptized. I mentioned to the preacher how I understand the river to be sacred, that rivers are, and how I thought river baptisms had died out but was glad to get to see one.
Many rivers are sacred, perhaps all. Maybe all water is sacred.
- "In Xanadu did Kubla Khan
- A stately pleasure-dome decree :
- Where Alph, the sacred river, ran
- Through caverns measureless to man
- Down to a sunless sea." -Samuel Taylor Coleridge